Thursday 19 July 2012

I ♥ Gail Ann Dorsey


Some people have just got that certain something, haven't they?  'Cool' is probably an over-used word but I can't think of another to replace it just now.  Anyway, whatever word you want to use, it describes Gail Ann Dorsey.  I have a real thing for talent.  I find it something of a turn-on when people write well, draw well, play well, etc...!   Talent is the thing and, wow, does this woman have it.  (I also have a bit of a thing for women with really short hair... ditto!)

Her work with many musical acts is well documented but she's no doubt best known for being part of David Bowie's backing band since 1995.  I love her bass-playing here with him on 'Later' from 2002.  Like the outfit too.



Rebel Rebel...

11 comments:

  1. Out-cooling Bowie, now that's some feat !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, isn't it? I read somewhere that he tracked her down and phoned her up out of the blue to ask her to join him, after having seen her perform once several years beforehand and decided back then that one day he would like her in his band! She must have made some impression on him...

      Delete
  2. I only really know her from her work with Bowie, though I seem to recall her doing some stuff earlier (was she ever a collaborator with The Gang of Four??). Great gal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think she did work with the Gang of Four too - pretty cool (that word again!) She's the kind of woman I'd like to think could be a role model... her unconventional image coupled with genuine talent is very refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool.

    Long hair must not be a deal-breaker though...the irreplaceable Bobby Gentry had more hair than Cousin It.

    ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, e.f. I had a massive crush on Bobbie when I was a little girl, and became quite obsessed with her hair - I'd have done anything to have dark hair too, and lots of it, all thanks to the beautiful Ms Gentry.

      Delete
    2. She's a Mississippian you know...from Greenwood.

      She's untouchable.

      Delete
  5. I didn't realise Mississippi, tho' I knew she was a Southern lass! I've thought before about puting a little piece on here about her (and my crush!) so maybe I will at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep I'd agree - lady with real style all of her own

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was not aware of her untill I watched a prog on Bowie and when she featured the first thing that went through my mind was she is pretty cool who is she? now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Furtheron, Old Pa's Corner - glad you agree!

    ReplyDelete

Please come in, the door is open

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...