Saturday 9 February 2013

Long playing bird

“Well, there’s that Santana album…” I said to Mr SDS this morning, as I pictured the cover to 'Abraxas' in my mind.  We were trying to think of album covers with  birds on them.  No, not that kind of bird.  I know, there are plenty of album covers with those on. And - if you’ve now got the image of the curvaceous naked woman on 'Abraxas' in your head - I’m not talking about, ahem, tits either (but, oh, you knew I had to put a ‘tit’ joke in there somewhere…)   There are plenty of album covers with those on too.  I was thinking of the white dove at her lap, subtley preserving a little of her modesty.

We’ve got this album cover lying around at home; it somehow ended up in our possession without the record itself:-


The artwork is so 1970s.  (Oops, UPDATE: it was released in 1969.)  I like the bold colours and slightly crude drawing style, plus the subject itself, even if it is a rather obviously literal interpretation of the name and could have been a fifth-former’s art class project.  With no vinyl to protect now it has no use - but it could be ornament and may yet end up on the wall, rather than gathering dust, unseen, elsewhere.

Other albums with feathered friends on them?  I'm still racking my birdbrain.

16 comments:

  1. Just to kick things off...anything by Welsh heavy rock monsters, Budgie. I believe their 70's sleeves were designed by Roger Dean of Yes sleeve fame.

    E.G.

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=budgie+welsh+rock+band&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=BjwWUfTJOsLb0QWK-IHADw&biw=1600&bih=769&sei=CTwWUceDNvG10QXwsIHoDw#imgrc=QD0nRKGEF07QsM%3A%3BBpChh7maufGmfM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.progarchives.com%252Fprogressive_rock_discography_covers%252F4149%252Fcover_3054171512009.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.progarchives.com%252Falbum.asp%253Fid%253D20654%3B971%3B974

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, both, I'd never have thought of those. Never mind just birds - we now have a sub-genre of budgerigars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doh! Just thought of the Stranglers - The Raven.
    (Refusing to go to Google for a pre-compiled list!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about one of my favourite albums, cover and all: Calexico's Garden Ruin? Almost art nouveau!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I confess they've pretty much passed me by - I must check out in more depth, so appreciate the recommendation. But I looked at that cover: gorgeous!

      Delete
  5. Let us not forget The Raven. Some consider it to be The Stranglers' finest moment.

    (I always thought they were a bit desperately butch myself. )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee, the Stranglers in an "a bit desperately butch" slur? Surely not ;-)

      Delete
  6. http://www.shugarecords.com/images/products/large/ef5c9b1c-013d-4897-9699-7983535b8e56-0.JPG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen that one before to my knowledge - thanks!

      Delete
  7. And don't forget 'a guide to rare british Birds' - perhaps better Birds on the inside than the sleeve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough I was only playing that the other day! (I've been making my way through about five albums a day while working... great stuff)

      Delete
  8. I racked my brain to try and do this without cheating...couldn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely... At first I just thought "there must be loads, and they'll spring to mind really quickly". I was wrong!

      Delete
  9. Oshin by DIIV, some very weird birds at that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, never seen - or heard of - that before! That's quite a bird, isn't it? - very tribal looking.

      Delete

Please come in, the door is open

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...