Monday 23 September 2013

It's got legs

What a life for a Daddy Longlegs.  Once it's pupated from the brilliantly named leatherjacket, it emerges from the underground to fly weakly and drunkenly around for a short while, existing solely to mate.  This stage of its life is all about sex, sex, sex - some don't even bother to eat.   And then it dies.  During its brief time as an adult it risks life and, more specifically, limb(s), if it floats into an unwelcoming house and gets fried on a light bulb, or strays into a playground where evil children lie in wait to amputate those fragile legs.

Well, I like them, they're cute.

Here's an old pic from my sketchbook archive.  The original caption was, "Yes, she's gorgeous - legs right up to her neck!"  A slightly less tasteful alternative was, "Let's get legless!"  and others included, "You're pulling my leg" plus "I'm a leg man myself".  The list could go on, I'm sure. 



Oh you sexy thing

13 comments:

  1. Tom and Doris, our cats, like to play with them. By play with I mean eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think "legs right up to her neck" can be topped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks e.f. I have a lovely friend who fits that description. I swear her legs are as long as my entire body.

      Delete
  3. Always trying to remove them safely from our bathroom. I'd like to think I mostly succeed without doing them too much damage but I'm not sure. Great picture and captions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be thinking of this post next time I'm valiantly trying to safely liberate one of these critters from the rafters in our kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SB and The Swede - I knew you would both be kindred spirits :-) I scoop them up gently in my hand to put them out - quite like the feel of them, in fact! - but they do insist on trying to get back in the open window when the light is on....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great little painting C...I would give you an arm and a leg for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-)
      Thank you! (That's quite an offer - I should bite your hand off!)

      Delete
  7. They exist only to mate and die - So says Wikipedia. Hmm, they have a lot in common with some of the human race then...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been watching too much Jeremy Kyle ;-)

      Delete
  8. I'm forever rescuing them from the flat to throwing them back outside. I'm surprised the screech from Mrs Monkey every time one appears doesn't scare them away for good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps they like the rare, brief sense of power! They seem pretty helpless in most other ways.... nice to know you rescue them too.

      Delete

Please come in, the door is open

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...