Sunday 25 January 2015

Walk with me (once again)

Patchy sun and a bit on the chilly ticket so put your parka on...

And off we go down the road.


It used to say Please keep cars off the grass but I think someone drove into it...

Here's that curvy crinkle-crankle wall - you remember I mentioned it before?


Ordinary objects in unexpected places seem to me as if they're trying to say something.


I've just no idea what.



If we turn left at the end of the street for a change we can head up the long drive towards a privately owned stately home.


Years ago I enquired here to see if there was any part-time work I could do, thinking I might be able to use some skills I'd picked up in my previous office life. “Well, I do need someone to help me get more organised,” the very nice lady of the house told me, “like reminding me when I need to go to the dentist”.

I didn't think it was the job for me. It would have been good to be surrounded by some of the animals here, though, most of which are rare breeds.


Like the Norfolk Horn sheep. This was the breed which brought so much wealth to this region in the Middle Ages because of the wool trade. But by the 1950s, their numbers had dwindled to just 15. Curious as they are, I can't get too close to their front ends today, they're too skittish. Apparently they're just as good as goats at jumping over fences.


A dog with curly black hair and floppy ears is resolutely ignoring his owner's calls. He's running the opposite way down the drive, intent on catching up with another dog at the bottom. “Archie! Get back here! NOW!” Archie just keeps on going, until he's just a few feet away from the object in his sights, upon which he loses his nerve completely, turns right around and gallops back to his owner, ears flapping wildly.

The horses aren't bothered about Archie's flapping ears.


These Suffolk Punches are always chesnut in colour. You leave the middle 'T' out of the spelling chestnut when referring to the strong russet brown of these heavy horses, it's tradition. Like the Norfolk Horn sheep, they were near to extinction at one time; in 1966 only 9 foals were born.


As the light changes fleetingly, my camera really picks up the rich colour coat.


No cars here today.


I can smell the Longhorns from a few yards away... can you?


Then turn round to face cloudy skies for the walk home. No scene is complete without a traffic cone.


And while I've got my camera with me I must just get a shot of Toby Tog!  You know how much I like being patronised by inanimate objects.






15 comments:

  1. C, I so enjoyed this walk with you - all of the photographs are wonderful! I used to do black and white photography myself. Do you actually live within walking distance of these beautiful views?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you could come along, Marie! These were just quick snaps but I love looking at b&w photography, always so evocative.
      I'm lucky to have this all on my doorstep, surrounded by fields, so it's good to walk here, even if a bit muddy...

      Delete
  2. Phewwww.....I had to turn down the smell-o-vision for the photo of those Longhorns! Glorious photos C, the Suffolk Punches are particularly beautiful and I didn't know about 'chesnut'. Yours and Singing Bear's recent pictorial posts have reminded me that I photographed a couple more of my own local walks back in September, but haven't gotten around to posting them yet - must dig 'em out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... yes somewhat smelly but worth getting close up all the same!
      Look forward to seeing photos of your September walks, your pics are always so beautiful.

      Delete
  3. Some lovely rural photos there although the disabled parking sign on a tree in the middle of a field seems quite bizzare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - the sign tickled me too! But I realise the photo is a bit misleading as the tree is on the edge of the drive you see in the 6th picture down and when the house is open to the public you can park on the grassy verges. It just looks so odd at this time of year, though - not an easy place to park for anyone!

      Delete
  4. Thanks you for taking us on this lovely walk, C. I really needed it and it has lifted my spirits. I completely agree with what you say about everyday objects in unexpected places; it's a bit of a hobby-horse of mine, too. Can you tell me what that thing is on the meter box? I cannot fathom it at all. Love all the animals, especially the horses. Before I forget, thanks for showing us the curvy crinkle-crankle wall - it's wonderful. Can we come again soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks SB, I'm glad you came along too.
      That's just a large, unusual shaped stone/cobble on the meter box. I wondered why it had been placed there so deliberately, it really caught my eye.
      There's more crinkle-crankle here but the photos never do them justice, I think that was the best one I could get on this route.
      You're welcome any time.

      Delete
  5. The first 2015 sighting of the crinkle crankle wall! All's well with the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-)
      I feel more crinkle-crankles coming on....

      Delete
  6. Thanks Yve, see my replies above about the disabled parking and the crinkle-crankle...
    I must go back for another sniff of the Longhorns soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'A Walk in your footsteps' I got all the sights and smells as if I was there, I don't think disabled people should be climbing trees or they will loose their benefits!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it wasn't too smelly for you Old Pa!

      Delete
  8. The country side reminds me of the Midwest...but not them catle. Those are something.

    After hearing from Toby, I'm afraid I would be desperately tempted to shove something in his hole he didn't like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are something, aren't they?
      I'm glad it's not just me who feels that way about 'Toby' and his ilk... grrr.

      Delete

Please come in, the door is open

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...